Friday, May 27, 2011

Creepy Kids

I mentioned creepy kids in my Spiders post, and I felt the need to expand on this topic.  So, I decided to make an entire post dedicated to creepy kids.

I have seen my fair share of movies in my lifetime... and with those movies comes an equally fair share of creepy kids.  Movie makers love creepy kids.  Of course, they throw them in already creepy movies, but something about a creepy kid really gives me a special kind of the heebie-jeebies.  I have seen so many creepy kids in movies that I have actually looked up what makes these kids so creepy.  The consensus seems to be that kids seem creepy when they are not child-like.  When they act older than their years.  When they are quiet, introverted, intelligent.  When they are intuitive and perceptive.  When they have an even temper, to the point of not reacting to external stimuli in a normal way.  Basically, when a kid acts like a stoic adult, they instantly become creepy.  Add said creepy kid to an already creepy movie, and presto:  that's a recipe for major heebie-jeebies.  The heebie-jeebies are obviously different from actual fear; they are a distinct feeling caused by only a handful of things - creepy kids being one of them.  Another heebie-jeebies inducer that I can think of right off the top of my head is people who look like pedophiles.  You know who I mean...

Back to the task at hand.  Creepy kids.  I have decided to post a collection of my all-time creepiest kids, or at least the ones that first come to mind, in no particular order.  I apologize in advance for the immense permeation of this blog entry with the word "creepy".

1.  Aidan from The Ring.  This movie was creepy enough without ever introducing the "horror" aspects thanks solely to the creepy Aidan.  In one of the movies, there was a scene with him wearing a little suit... and I have found that the creepy factor of children is instantly increased by wearing a suit.




2.  Heck, Somara from The Ring (even when she was "normal").  Sure, she was evil, which added to the creepiness.  But, those big blank eyes that look like they are staring into your soul (and probably were)... definitely more than a bit unsettling.




3.  Morgan from Signs.  I can't recall what particularly made this kid creepy, but he instantly popped into my head when I thought of creepy kids.  So, he must have been creepy.




4.  Damien from The Omen.  Ignore the fact that this child was supposedly the Devil incarnate.  Look at his little hat and suit - creepy!  Remember what I said about suits?  Even when he wasn't working his evil satanic mojo, he was totally creepy.  He kind of reminds me of the little puppet from the Saw movies, like he should be riding a tricycle, laughing maniacally.  Hmm, maybe I should make creepy kid movies...




5.  Every kid in Village of the Damned.  I never saw the original, so I can't comment on those kids, who I'm sure were maybe even creepier.  These children were pure evil, and they have placed a permanent stigma on white-blond children with blue eyes.  I will forever associate such children with this creepy movie.




6.  Sharon/Alessa from Silent Hill.  This movie really disturbed me.  I watched it alone, which was a mistake when I am so easily scared.  Add in having a creepy child, and I had real troubles sleeping after this one.  Look how creepy she is!  She could be Somara's sister...



7.  Cole from The Sixth Sense.  "I see dead people."  Enough said.  Creepy kid with creepy morose abilities.   And, it looks like he has on a suit.  Triple threat.


8.  David from A.I. (Obviously, casting directors recognized an overwhelming creepiness in Haley Joel Osment.  He was even creepy in Forrest Gump...)  A robotic child automatically encompasses all the things I mentioned that make children creepy.  Too bad he wasn't evil... that would have put him in the running for creepiest of all time.



There are many, many more... but I just listed the ones that came to mind.  I'm open to nominations...

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I haven't seen all of these movies (I've seen the Sixth Sense, of course, and part of the Ring). I guess I don't watch much horror unless it involves vampires, witches, werewolves, or demons. LOL

    But, you are right--these are all creepy kids. The white-blonde kids with the blue eyes get me the most....freaky.

    ReplyDelete