Monday, May 23, 2011

Wii Fit: The Game I Love to Hate.

Wii Fit is the most depressing game ever invented.  I was in a bad mood when I got home from work, and I just wanted to do something that would relax me and make me feel better.  I was too zonked to make the trip to the gym, so I decided to drag out the old Wii Fit for a little light exercise.  I turned it on, and it said that it had been 105 days since I last used it.  It then quipped, "But don't worry, I would never forget your name... Steve!"  Ha.  You are sooo funny little Wii Fit Board... acting like you, a program, don't remember my name.  Such positive reinforcement!

"Feel bad about yourself!  Fatty!"
Then, I did my little fitness test, and it gave me all of the balance games that I suck at!  My Wii Fit age?  The number 33 hit with a wah-wah of blatant disappointment and a thud like a ton of bricks.  Then my mii got all sad and hunched over like it had been destroyed by the number on the screen.  Wii Fit then proceeded to tell me that 33 is 7 years older than my real age, and it flashed a big 7 on the screen.  At this point, I'm fairly convinced the Wii Fit is designed solely to make you feel like crap.  Wow, what a great strategy!  I totally want to buy another one of these games!

Then, the best part of the fitness test... the weigh-in!  Duh duh DUH!  I weighed in, and my BMI flashed on the screen.  Normal!  Woo hoo!  Something to be excited about.  It told me I've lost 5 pounds since the last time I weighed in.  Great!  Keep it coming!  Next, it talked about the goal I had set a few months ago to reach a certain BMI in a set amount of time.  Well, that time was up, and it asked "Did you meet your goal?"  More wah-wah-ing.  "Oh!  You didn't meet your goal!"  Thank you for the reminder!  It then said something along the lines of "Maybe you should try a more attainable goal next time..." and suggested a new goal that I lose 12 more pounds.  Eff you Wii Fit!  You lose 12 pounds!

At this point, I began shouting obscenities at the Wii Fit and making self-deprecating comments about how I fail at everything...even the Wii Fit tells me I'm a failure.  How I have no goals in life and never meet any of the goals I do set.  On and on, yelling at the Wii Fit and wallowing in a sea of failure.  (Granted, this was due to me already being in a bad mood because I failed to meet goals at work...).  I then punched the little "OK" stamp on the date to show my progress... though I think the Wii Fit would have an issue with calling my efforts "progress."  "Participation," perhaps.  Like those lame ribbons that the losers got in grade school.

I decided, I'm going to kick the Wii Fit's butt.  I'll show Wii Fit who's boss!  So, I queued up 20 exercises in a row to do.  It made a snarky comment about how that's a lot to do and I needed to make sure I didn't push myself too hard.  Talk about mixed messages.  First, I suck, then I'm trying too hard?  I told it I would push myself as hard as I wanted to!  I then began my exercises.  I was wobbly on a few and it yelled at me.  I did one new exercise, and at the end, it "suggested" that maybe I should practice new exercises before adding them to my routine... though maybe it had a point because Steve had to hold me up so I didn't fall over while trying it....   Chalk up another point for Wii Fit, Supreme Overlord of Negative Reinforcement.  When it was done being a jerk, the little piggy bank put all my minutes in and turned gold because I had completed 10 hours... and it got all excited and jumped around and played a jingle.  Well, Mr. Piggy Bank, at least someone appreciates my efforts!  I say you stage a coup to overthrow the Supreme Overlord!

Now, after my encounter with the heartless Wii Fit, I am left in a quandary.  Do I start using the Wii Fit more regularly so it is nicer to me?  Or do I stuff it back in the closet and avoid its negativity?  Either way, I feel like it is winning!  Those clever Japanese...

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you have me rolling with laughter! No, I'm not laughing at you--I just totally know where you are coming from because I too have a Wii Fit. Not that I have used it recently...now I am afraid to get it out! At least not until the piggy overthrows the Supreme Overlord. :-)

    That said, it might be worth pulling it out a few times a week when you aren't feeling like doing a full work out or on an off night from the gym. You will get some added exercise and stop hearing negative reinforcement. I'm not sure why they have designed Wii Fit like this except the Japanese are not into stroking egos like Americans so maybe they think this is a good way to reinforce us? I think they need to read all of the studies saying people thrive on positive reinforcement and go from there.

    Also, I don't know if you have tried any of the other fitness "games" for the Wii. I have EA Sports Active and Jillian Michaels' Ultimate Fitness for the Wii. I like those because you get to work out without hearing from the Wii about how awful you are doing. I don't want to hear about how crappy my balance is or that I favor one side or the other or whatever. So, maybe that's an option.

    In any case, thanks for the laugh about the Wii Supreme Overlord and don't get down on yourself. You are meeting your goals, even if it doesn't feel like it and it feels slow-going. This is a journey, after all. LOL And, I am sorry about your bad day at work and I hope everything is ok.

    Here's to a better day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Steve that I think if Americans had made the Wii Fit, it would just try to make you feel good, lol. It would say things like "You're beautiful just the way you are!" "There's just more of you to love!" "We all have different strengths." Lol. I told him the people who made the Wii Fit are the same people who yell at their children "I don't care if you've performed 10 symphonies at age 8! You will practice your violin!"

    I am probably going to keep using the Wii Fit like I currently do... when I don't want to go to the gym, but the elliptical doesn't look appealing, lol. I do like the plank challenge because I can win that and it doesn't yell at me. :D I might have to try out one of the other fitness games... though I mostly like Wii Fit for the stupid little games you can play, hehe.

    I felt much better after I finished my workout and got my little gold piggy, LOL. I was in a good mood the rest of the night, especially after venting in my blog about it. And, today, back to work, and definitely hope it's a better day!

    ReplyDelete