Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Blog Gets Results!

I've found that having a blog makes me feel a bit like I have a secret link to the universe.  As if when I post an entry, the powers-that-be take notice.  My thoughts are released into cyberspace, and who knows what ripple effect my inane ramblings may cause.

Okay, actually, I realize my blog is not changing lives... and most people probably have zero interest in sampling the byproduct of my boredom.  But, a blog does lend to its creator a certain amount of self-esteem when that little "view count" ticker goes up, or when someone comments on a post.  I admit that my level of self-importance may have crept up a bit thanks to having my online voice back in operation.  No need to worry about me getting a big head - my level of self-importance was pretty low to begin with.

I don't post to get noticed, but I appreciate when people give my blog notice.  For those that do notice, I like to feel that I'm at least filling someone's time with something more enjoyable than staring blankly into space.  I think that's a realistic and respectable goal...

This clever set-up brings me to the title of my post:  My Blog Gets Results!  Yes, it is true, readers.  I have single-handedly effected change in the world.  Perhaps that is not entirely true... but I do know that at least one incident has occurred as a result of my blog, and I am choosing to irrationally believe that the other may also be a result of my blog.

First incident:  A couple of weeks after writing my "Baby Factory" post, I received a package in the mail... right around Mother's Day, in fact.  I opened it, and encased within was a gift from my mother-in-law.  I unwrapped it, and to my amusement, it held the exact t-shirt that I posted a picture of in that blog:  Baby Factory Closed.  My blog led to me getting an amusing gift related to my post!  The epitome of success!  Obviously, this was the incident that definitely occurred as a result of my blog.  Ahh, the sweet smell of validation...

Second incident:  After writing my "Library of Judgment" post, I went to the library to check out a book.  Judgmental librarian was nowhere to be found.  I not-so-secretly hope his employment has been terminated.  No, that's not the incident, though it was a welcomed bonus.  When I went to the counter to check out my book, the librarian asked if I would like to try self-checkout.  I asked what it was, and she politely led me to a cluster of kiosks to show me.  Self-checkout is exactly what it sounds like - you check out your own books!  (Actually... I did this in college, as well...so not exactly a new concept.)  So, I just swiped my card, scanned my book, and walked out.  I then realized that I never have to interact with the judgmental librarian ever again!  I can check out all the guilty pleasure reading I desire, free of judgmental looks.  You have no idea of the amount of relief that I feel.  Seriously, this is going to make my life much happier and less stressful (is that a little bit sad?...).  I will now look forward to checking out my next Nora Roberts book!  And, I like to think my blog post at least sent out positive vibes to the universe, which led to this magnificent development.  Regardless of the fact that my blog didn't cause this incident per se, it was a fantastic coincidence that the library got self-checkout only a few days after I composed my blog post.

Ask and you shall receive!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, that is too funny. I knew about the t-shirt since you mentioned it on LS but the self-checkout at the library is really funny. Who knew that writing a blog could have such effect in your life? LOL I am happy that you can check out whatever you want without feeling judged and will feel less stressed because of it.

    Now, you need to get to writing about other things that you want in your life--obviously those vibes are doing something in your world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm already thinking of possibilities for my next posts! Lottery? Ridiculously high metabolism? A bigamous marriage to Ian Somerhalder? 4 inches added to my height? Lol. Perhaps those are too lofty of goals... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Hey, works for me! If it works on small things, why not big ones???

    ReplyDelete