Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Randomosity

Ok, I'm having trouble focusing my ADD brain, so this post is just complete random snippets of things I feel like talking about.  A bit of random trivia to go with this random blog post:  Before I made this blog, I had first made a blog called The Art of Randomosity.  I deleted it after it failed to inspire my creative mind.  But, the semi-made-up word proved perfect for this blog entry!


**  Last time I visited my parents, my mom was talking about how they were going to landscape their yard.  You see, they moved into my grandparents' house after they renovated it, so they are starting with a clean slate... and my mom has grand ideas, of course.  She has been trying to talk my dad into getting a pool since renovations started two years ago.  When I visited, my mom told me that she had mentioned a pool to my dad again, and that he said she could have a pool when she had two grandkids.  As if I wasn't getting pestered enough about having kids before, now the fate of my mom's pool rests in my hands.  Sorry, mom... guess you're landlocked for a few years!  Though, it does give me a fun way to further torture my mother about grandchildren.  "Mom, why don't you guys get a pool?  Wouldn't a pool be soooo nice?"


**  I have never mowed the lawn.  I grew up with a huge yard in the country, but I never mowed.  How did I manage this?  Well, when I was in junior high, a kid in my school had a lawn mower accident... let's just call him Jimmy Smith (to protect his identity... not that he would read this blog... and the people I was in school with know who I'm talking about anyway).  The riding lawn mower tipped over on top of him, and he lost an eye.  He had to get a glass eye, which was just about the most terrifying thing I had ever heard of when I was 12.  I told my mom about it and about how scared it made me of lawn mowers... because we lived on a steep hill, and I was convinced the lawn mower was going to turn over.  I was genuinely afraid of the lawn mower (as I am basically afraid of almost everything on earth), so my mom never asked me to mow.  As I got older, I got less afraid of the lawn mower, but also got lazier and still didn't want to mow in 98 degree heat.  So, when my mom asked me to mow, I would say, "Do you want me to end up like Jimmy Smith!?"  Yeah, what was my mom going to say to that?  That she wanted her daughter to have a glass eye?  Well played, me.  People would ask my mom why she didn't just have me mow the lawn, and she would tell me I was afraid of the mower because of what happened to Jimmy Smith.  I was 18, and she was still telling people this.  Perhaps I did have a bit of fear lingering, but it was definitely mostly laziness.  But, to this day, I'm pretty sure my mom thinks I have a lawn mower phobia.  And, now I have a husband to mow, so why would I ever start?


**  The Voice is awful this year.  I have slowly cut reality shows out of my TV viewing lineup, and The Voice is about to get the axe.  I thought it was so fun last year, and now it sucks.  No one is good!  I have a problem letting go of TV shows, though, even when they get really bad.  It's like... I feel some kind of loyalty to them.  Like, I owe it to the show to stick it out and see if it gets better.  Which is ridiculous, of course, but I guess I am a show hoarder of sorts.  I can't let anything go, even when I get no enjoyment or use out of it.  My cluttered DVR serves as proof.  I can think of a handful of shows that I gave up on (like Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, House, Private Practice, American Idol, Nip/Tuck... actually, even more than that... perhaps more than a handful...), and it seriously gives me anxiety to stop watching a show that I've been watching forever.  Sometimes I will read recaps even though I don't watch anymore.  Yes, I know the worlds are fictional... but I still have this need to know what is happening!  I must have a disorder of some kind.


**  I have an unhealthy fascination with Taylor Swift.  Not, like, in a stalker-ish way, but still an unhealthy amount for a grown woman.  I know (and own) every Taylor Swift song there is... and have even watched a lot of her YouTube videos... her TV show appearances.  I follow her tabloid stories.  I can't watch Camilla Belle movies because she stole Joe Jonas from Taylor Swift (why do I even know this?!).  I know it's totally irrational, but I can't help it.  I feel like one of those teenage girls who is convinced that if Taylor Swift knew me, we'd be best friends - and, maybe I could be her back-up singer and we could write songs together and have girly sleepovers with her adorable cat Meredith.  No, I never think of these things at all... ever.  I think I have a special affinity for the "normal" famous girls... like Taylor Swift... and Selena Gomez.  I love Selena Gomez.  I even watched that movie Monte Carlo.  Yes, I am a tween trapped in an adult body.  Actually, it probably looks more like a tween body, and from a distance, or with sunglasses on, you might mistake me for a 13 year old girl.  Did I mention that I just finished the first book in another young adult series?  And, requested the next from the library.  And will feel perhaps more than a little bit of shame when I go pick it up.  Thank God for self check-out.  Anything to avoid those judgmental librarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment