Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I am one of "those" people...

...the people who like to read the end of the novel before they begin it.  I shamelessly admit that I will often flip to the final chapter first to see what kind of ending it will have before I read it.  To my credit, I will still read the novel, whatever the ending, but I am just not good with anticipation.  Anticipation is my enemy.  This may be best evidenced by the fact that I get "addicted" to TV shows or books.  I will sit down and watch an entire season of a show or read an entire book (or a whole SERIES of either), because I have trouble finding a "stopping point."  I always want to know what happens next, and if it is available to me, I have real problems just stopping and doing something else.  I neeeeed to know what happens next!  I actually missed days of school in law school because I was so engulfed in a TV show that I couldn't bring myself to leave the apartment.  I once finished a book at the airport, and I wanted to read the next in the series so badly that I paid airport prices for the hardcover of the book, just so I could read it right then.  It's a sickness.

Luckily, most of my guilty pleasure vapid romance novels have incredibly predictable endings, and I can figure it out about 3 pages into the book, or I know what I'm getting going in (which is why I love vapid romance novels!).  "Real" books, I suffer from the anticipation too much, so I often either read the ending... or look it up online.

In case you are wondering, Wikipedia is an awesome source for finding the plotlines/endings of movies and books.  It lays it all out there.  You would think there would be some kind of policy against this... or a big SPOILER warning, but nope.  Just read the entry, and you will know all.  I also read every spoiler page known to man for TV shows.  My husband cannot understand why I even bother reading/watching something when I already know what happens.  I have been known to even read an entire recap for a TV episode before watching it.  I have to be very careful not to divulge my spoilery info to my hubby because he gets genuinely mad about spoilers.  I, on the other hand, love the spoilers.  I love knowing what's going to happen. I figure life is unpredictable enough on its own.  I want to enjoy my entertainment... and I do not enjoy the "not knowing" or the "surprises."  And, I don't find that spoilers have any effect on my enjoyment or experience of a show/film/book.  I still get invested in characters that I know will die, I still root for the guy who doesn't get the girl, I still cry at the sad moments, and I'm still scared to death when something spooky happens.  I just like to be prepared for what's going to happen.

I liken my viewing/reading habit to that of a "second" view/read.  Many, many people re-watch shows/movies or re-read books.  I do it.  Some movies I've seen 20 times... and some books I've read 5 or 6.  A lot of people even say that they enjoy something more the 2nd time because they can pick up on things they didn't before, or can understand the significance of events in relation to the ending.  Well, that is how I feel watching something for the first time, with my knowledge of spoilery goodness.

Now, I do not spoil every single piece of entertainment... but I'd say it's about 60%.  There are some things that I think are better left unspoiled.  I rarely spoil horror films... and if I am reading a book "series", I will not actively seek out spoilers on the next book... thought I do not avoid them, either.  Sometimes if a movie review says something unexpected happens in the movie and they advise you not to spoil it for yourself, I will try to avoid spoilers.  Other than those limited areas, all other spoilers are pretty welcomed.  I actually think I enjoy things more when I know what's going to happen.  It allows me to relax and focus on what's happening instead of trying to figure out the ending or "where they're going" with something (which I unavoidably do).

So, there you have it.  I am one of "those" people.  I think there should be a name for "us"...like a disorder.  OCD people get it.  Wait, maybe this is a form of OCD.  This calls for further research!  (my favorite!)

No comments:

Post a Comment