Monday, April 4, 2011

Untitled.

I struggled with whether to title my first blog entry.  Obviously, I have decided to title it "Untitled."  I thought about calling it "Intro," "First Blog," or something along those lines... but I was dissatisfied with all options that my feeble brain presented to me.

This post will serve simply as an "intensive" course on the ins and outs of my new blog.  This is not my first blog, but it is my first one in a long time.  Choosing a name and web address for the blog caused me much stress.  Everything I wanted was taken, of course.  So, I thought back to a favorite quote of mine.  I don't even know if it is actually a quote, a misquote, or simply a phrase I came up with on my own.  But, I think it embodies my view on life quite simply.  "Life is the stuff dreams are made of."  I think this phrase can mean many things to different people and can relay varying connotations.  Personally, I take this phrase in two different ways.

One, is literally.  Literally, our dreams are made up of experiences from our life.  Dreams do not exist in a vacuum; they are constructs of our minds.  Our dreams represent us in some way - our fears, our hopes, our experiences, our feelings.  Sometimes they can tell us things about our subconscious, and other times they seem to mean nothing at all.  I was always intrigued by dream interpretation and often would "interpret" my dreams the next morning using books and the like.  I am a rare individual in that I would say that I remember 75% of my dreams.  I may not remember them "exactly" but I can remember a large part of them and especially the way the dream's events makes me feel or think.  I think my dreams say a lot about my life, and I enjoy the insight, even if it is sometimes frightening or confusing.

Second, is figuratively.  Perhaps "figuratively" is not the right word, but it is the obvious counterpart to "literally."  Our literal dreams are made up of life.  So, too, are our figurative dreams.  By "figurative," I mean to say the life goals/hopes that people refer to as "dreams."  Such as... "My dream is to see Italy."  "My dream is to be a movie star."  Etc.  Neither of these, incidentally, are particular dreams of mine (though I would love to see Italy!).  Everyone has "dreams" for their life... even if they do not label them as such with that particular moniker.  "Dreams" are the path you want your life to take, they are the "end" to your means.  Dreams, necessarily, are made of life.  They are what you want your life to be, what it could be.  I think of literal dreams as reflecting your actual life and figurative dreams as reflecting your potential life.  I think this makes my favorite phrase doubly true.  Your literal and figurative dreams are made of your actual and potential life.


Ok, there is a little bit of history behind the titling of my blog.  Now, for what my blog will actually be "about." This blog will be about... whatever I feel like writing!  Easy enough.  I thought about making a "topical" blog or a strictly personal blog, but I am very indecisive and random, so who knows what I will feel like writing on any given day.  I could make multiple blogs, but I am just not that ambitious or dedicated.  This blog will simply be a representation of my life... whatever form that may take.

I am not sure of the level of anonymity I will seek in the blogosphere, but I am sure that little pieces of me will be revealed throughout my blog, and thus I am choosing not to give any biographical information up front.  Whatever will be, will be.


I will tell you one thing.  I am not as boring as this first post may indicate... or at least I hope I'm not.  I simply feel the need to lay out a background before diving into my first "real" post.  I think that is my analytical nature rearing its ugly head - the need to provide "context" for every possible thing.  So, here is your "context."  Now, I hope you enjoy a glimpse into my mundane existence :)

No comments:

Post a Comment